We often get asked whether it’s okay to wash basketball shoes in the washing machine. The answer is yes, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind in order to avoid damaging your shoes.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to clean basketball shoes in the washing machine, what types of shoes can be washed, and how to air dry them afterward.
We’ll also answer some common questions about washing basketball shoes, like whether water damage is a concern and how to remove odors. Finally, we’ll give you some tips on preventing your shoes from getting smelly in the first place.
Table of Contents
How to Clean Basketball Shoes in the Washing Machine?
Cleaning your basketball shoes in the washing machine is a pretty straightforward process. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Remove the laces and insole from your shoes.
2. Place your shoes in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase to protect them from damage during the washing cycle.
3. Wash your shoes on a gentle cycle in cold water.
4. Add a mild detergent to the washing machine. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the material of your shoes.
5. Once the cycle is finished, remove your shoes from the washing machine and allow them to air dry.
What Types of Basketball Shoes Can Be Washed in the Washing Machine?
Almost all types of basketball shoes can be washed in the washing machine, but there are a few exceptions. If your shoes have any special features or materials, it’s always best to check the care instructions before washing them.
For example, suede and leather shoes should not be washed in the washing machine, as this can damage the material.
Similarly, shoes with special features like waterproofing or insulation should not be washed in the machine, as this can ruin the shoes’ performance.
How to Air Dry Basketball Shoes After Washing?
Once you’ve removed your shoes from the washing machine, it’s important to let them air dry completely before wearing them again. The best way to do this is to place them in a well-ventilated area, such as a porch or near an open window.
You should also avoid putting them in direct sunlight, as this can damage the material. If possible, Prop your shoes up on a towel or drying rack to help speed up the process.
Can Water Damage Basketball Shoes?
If your shoes get wet, there’s no need to worry about water damage. Most basketball shoes are made from synthetic materials that are designed to withstand exposure to water.
However, if your shoes are made from suede or leather, it’s important to avoid getting them wet, as this can damage the material.
How to Clean White Basketball Shoes?
Cleaning white basketball shoes is a bit different from cleaning other types of shoes. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the material.
2. Use a toothbrush or other soft brush to remove any dirt or debris.
3. Soak your shoes in a mixture of water and vinegar for 30 minutes to help remove stains.
4. Rinse your shoes thoroughly with clean water.
5. Allow your shoes to air dry completely before wearing them again.
How to Remove Odors From Basketball Shoes?
If your shoes are starting to smell, there are a few things you can do to remove the odor:
1. Place your shoes in the freezer overnight. This will help kill any bacteria that are causing the odor.
2. Sprinkle baking soda inside your shoes and let it sit for a few hours. Baking soda is a natural odor absorber.
3. Wash your shoes in the washing machine using a mild detergent.
4. Place your shoes in direct sunlight for a few hours. The UV rays will help kill any bacteria that are causing the odor.
Tips for Preventing Basketball Shoes From Smelling
To prevent your shoes from smelling, there are a few things you can do:
1. Wear socks: Wearing socks will help absorb sweat and keep your feet dry.
2. Change your socks often: If you’re going to be wearing your shoes for an extended period of time, make sure to change your socks frequently.
3. Let your shoes air out: After you’ve worn your shoes, let them air out in a well-ventilated area. This will help prevent the build-up of bacteria.
4. Use shoe inserts: Shoe inserts can help absorb sweat and keep your feet dry.
5. Rotate your shoes: If you have more than one pair of basketball shoes, rotate them so that you’re not wearing the same pair every day. This will give them time to air out between uses.
How Often Should You Clean Your Basketball Shoes?
It’s a good idea to clean your basketball shoes on a regular basis, especially if you wear them frequently. If you play in a league or wear them for extended periods of time, you should aim to clean them every week or two.
If you only wear them occasionally, you can get away with cleaning them every month or so. However, if they start to smell, it’s a good idea to clean them as soon as possible.
Cleaning your basketball shoes is important to keep them looking and smelling good. Use the tips in this article to help you clean your shoes properly and prevent them from smelling.